Final statement on Italian 70 MHz authorization

Use this forum for news, general chit chat and items of general interest to 4 m operators

Final statement on Italian 70 MHz authorization

Postby I0JX » Mon 21 Jun 2010, 10:15

Let me firstly introduce myself. I am the person who kept contacts with the Military Autorithies, the Telecommunications Ministry and the Universities with regard to the Italian 70-MHz activities in years 2007, 2008 and 2010.

As I keep reading incorrect statements written by people who have not participated in those contacts and that can then only write things read or heard here and there, I would like to clarify - without any doubt - that, for year 2010, the 70-MHz utilization in Italy became legal on May 26th 2010, i.e. the date in which our Military Authorities gave their go-ahead. The fact that the formal Ministry authorization letter bears the date of June 11th (and was actually dispatched on June 17th) does not impair the legal validity of 70-MHz operations done in period May 26th - June 11th.

It is however true that not all Italian hams were timely informed about that, and this caused confusion.

As to the validity date of QSOs for ham-radio awards, this will depend on the policy possibly adopted by the award keeper, should he not want to penalize those who got the information late with respect to the others (though it may be quite an hard job to define a sensible starting date for award validity). In absence of such policy, the start date should be May 26th.

I am available to provide further details to those who pay specific interest on the issue.

Tony I0JX
vernucci@tiscali.it
I0JX

Location and locator: Rome, Italy

Postby I0JX » Mon 28 Jun 2010, 08:48

Somebody noted that I have incorrectly typed the date in which our Military Authorities gave their go-ahead, which is May 24th, not 26th.

70-MHz operations are then valid since the day after, that is the 25th.

Tony I0JX
I0JX US call: K0JX
50-MHz beacon: 50.004 KHz FSK 10W 5/8 vertical antenna
Ready for 70 MHz as soon as authorized
I0JX

Location and locator: Rome, Italy

Return to General news, etc.